Friday, July 25, 2008

Style Lexicon: Ruching

I consider myself somewhat of a fashion geek. It's not enough for me to casually flip through a fashion magazine. I actually have to mark pages like a maniac so that I can carefully "study" them later. And, if there happens to be a word I don't fully understand - a sewing technique, a fabric variation, a color - well, then I have to get to the bottom of that. Not only do I need to know what the word means, I have to know how to pronounce it and what it actually looks like and feels like. There are more ridiculous ways to spend your free time, trust me....

So, every once in a while I'll share a tidbit I've learned or come across under the post title of "Style Lexicon: __________". Consider it your fashion "Word of the Day" because you never know when you might have an unexpected lunch with Karl Lagerfield and you'll want to know what you're talking about. So, let's begin....

Today's Style Lexicon Feature: RUCHING

Ruching (pronounced ROOSHING) is French and literally mean "to gather, ruffle or pleat". It's sometimes also spelled as "rouching". Basically, a strip of fabric or ribbon is gathered in a repeat pattern and as the gathering thread is drawn up the strip forms scallops or petals. Ruching is a labor-intensive, time consuming technique that, like many other art forms, is experiencing a resurgence in current fashion trends. Here are some pretty pictures to illustrate the art of "ruching":

No comments: