Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Steve & Barry's RIP


I know I'm incredibly late to the game but I just this weekend was able to finally visit a Steve & Barry's while on vacation in the Boston area. Like every other woman in the country, I've been anxious to get my greedy little hands on Sarah Jessica Parker's Bitten line of clothing and accessories. Of course, I have read and heard numerous times how terribly underwhelming the experience is, but I wanted to see for myself. And, boy did I - it was TERRIBLE. There was literally nothing there! The racks were bare, the floor was covered in clothes fallen from hangers and the jewelry was in a tangled mess...all under gigantic posters of SJP promising "Fashion you can afford to love." So sad. And, this store apparently just opened in June! I actually forced myself to buy a pair of gold hoop earrings just out of respect for SJP....


So, I wasn't entirely surprised to read that Steve & Barry's has filed for Chapter 11 in Women's Wear Daily today, but still...the future was so bright. What happened? And, more importantly, will there be massive going-out-of-business sales that we should know about....at stores where there is actually merchandise, of course.

No comments: