Friday, August 1, 2008

Richard Chai for Target - Now in Stores!





Just visited my local Target to check out the new Richard Chai for Target collection, which is in stores (and supposedly online as well, but I'm not seeing it yet) today. Unfortunately, the Target I visited didn't have all the pieces in the collection, but what they did have was only so-so.

I had really high hopes for the above color-block front tie dress and my Target only had 1 of the purple left and tons of the royal blue version, which isn't nearly as cute. I did however get the long cardigan shown above in blue...that was the only color left by the time I got there at 4pm! It's hard to tell in the picture but there is some ruching detail at the front which adds a little interest. The fabric is the perfect weight, fine gauge and super soft (95% cotton and 5% cashmere) so I know I'll get some use out of it this Fall.

I also got this ruffle front shirt shown under the black cardigan above. It's pretty cute, but not sure if it's really me yet and because it's so distinct-looking I'm sure it will soon be the shirt you seen everyone wearing and will never want to wear again.

The geometric print tank pictured under the vest above was sort of cute, but I just couldn't really see me wearing it ever so I passed. Had no use for the leather vests like this one either, but I'm sure some people will.

This is a good example of a piece I wanted to see that wasn't even in the store. Looks pretty cute, but I'll have to keep looking. There was also plenty of the corduroy Bermuda shorts but I didn't have any interest there. The graffiti printed cotton sundress didn't really appeal either. To sum it up: I guess I was sort of expecting things that represented Chai's minimalist reputation, but that's not really what I saw. It seemed very "young" to me; nothing I could use for work and play really.

What's all the fuss about? Richard Chai is a relatively new designer having just launched his own line back in 2004, but he's already an industry favorite. Most recently, his Fall 2008 Ready-to-Wear Collection scored rave review from Style.com/Vogue. His designs are frequently described as “modern” and “minimalist” and feature old-world detailing such as hand stitching, bias tapes and French seams. But the ladies really love Richard for his leg-elongating pants, fine-gauge knits and streamlined looks.

No comments: